What is online counselling and how does it work?
Online counselling is talking in real time to each other. It works because we can see each other and our facial expressions. For those that are not comfortable with being seen, you might prefer voice-only online calls or a normal telephone call.
My preferred method of providing online counselling is via Zoom. However, Skype, WhatsApp, FaceTime and telephone sessions are also available. Sessions last for 50 minutes.
Online counselling is very popular. Even though we are not in the same room, I can still help you explore your feelings and support you with any changes you may need to make. It is convenient and clients still experience the same therapeutic benefit as face to face counselling.
Most clients have weekly online sessions leading on from each other. Of course it’s up to you if you would like to book one session and see how it goes.
Why would I consider online counselling?
- You don’t have to travel to see a therapist – this saves driving, parking and sitting in traffic.
- It can fit around your schedule and can take place from the comfort of your own home.
- If you are disabled or afraid to leave your home, you can access help and feel connected.
- If you have social anxiety or feel nervous about talking to someone face-to-face, online counselling can be helpful for you.
Are there reasons why online counselling might not be for me?
- If you are not comfortable with the technical aspects of working online and do not have a good internet connection.
- If you are visually impaired.
- If you don’t have a safe and private space to carry out the online therapy; at home or elsewhere.
- If you have suicidal tendencies it would be best for you to seek face-to-face counselling.
What else do I need to know?
Research suggests that online or virtual counselling is just as effective as face to face sessions. It is accessible to everyone, everywhere.
For some, there is still a stigma around counselling and this means your counselling can be kept private.
I provide online counselling for adults, couples and families. I am able to help people all over the world who are reaping the benefits of therapy without having to leave home.
Send me an email if you are interested. I’d love to hear from you.
Send me a private message
Faringdon, Oxfordshire (SN7)
Swindon, Wiltshire (SN25)
Covid is a real concern. Both my counselling rooms are large enough for us to sit at a safe 2m distance. I will ask you to clean your hands on the way in. I would also ask you to use your own bathroom before you come.
Please let me know as soon as possible if you need to go into self-isolation, even if you have not been the week before as this allows both myself and other clients to make informed decisions.